Friday, September 21, 2012

Post and Pre Limitations

What? Well, I've a theory. I believe that in life, we are only limited by our own efforts. Pre Limitations, as I see it, are what we see, and say to ourselves, "I can't do that." Or, "someone will figure out who I am, so I'm not going to do that."

Post Limitations are those that once we've done something, we see it as being done, and don't have to do anything outstanding again. Just to have done the one thing, to some people, is enough. It is where they say I did that, and I'm done trying.

I just read the blog of someone so dear to my life, that I've taken every word she says to me, to heart. Sometimes, to my detriment. Sometimes, I've not taken her advice, and been the sorrier for it. Sometimes, her opinions come off as so much psychological edicta, that I am lessened by hearing it. Because it means, by her measure, that what I've always thought of myself, is more or less true.

She was brave in her latest blog. Very nakedly brave. I'm proud of her for trying something so out of her comfort zone. She overcame her pre-limitations, to triumph over her pre-conceptions. She now can go on to do other more harsh things, knowing that this last thing could very well have been the hardest thing she ever did, or may ever do. While I don't think it is, she might.

I have a tendency to sequester my thoughts, when things or people attack me. I've sent my thoughts to a nunnery, more or less, and they come back healed. Or, more to true, as able to offer me a moments worth of healing. Truth is like that. Those that attack you may indeed offer you something you can learn from. No matter how much it hurts, sometimes, there is something you learn that you can take from it. Then you can let it go. There is no sense in dwelling on things and events you no longer have control over.

So, my thoughts go on a journey of discovery after the onslaught of someone's anger. The nunnery is a stark inner place, where I send my thoughts to dwell on the spoken, and unspoken of the attack. I'm not saying this is always a dictatorial 'Christian' nunnery; sometimes I send my thoughts to Buddha. He sits down with Jesus, and they talk about meditation. Buddha seems more practiced at it than Jesus, but Jesus gives me so much great advice, that it doesn't matter. I just don't know how to do it properly. I may not be doing it right at this point, but I will come to that apex of knowledge, and be able to meditate with the best of them. Practice.

There is weight loss. For some people, it is pre limiting. They have dieted all their lives, back and forth, then they give up. Some people limit their diet to things they already love, without giving other diets, life changes, a single chance. Take me for instance. I gained so much weight this past 18 months, that I could not wear anything that would tent me enough. I was a vegetarian, so eating vegetables was something I was already doing. But I was also eating cheese, and eggs. I did not lose weight, but with my addiction to cheese and eggs, I was gaining it. No solution.

I always thought going fully vegan, was too hard, and something I could not do. One day, last December, I decided that I would just do it. For me, eliminating cheese, my biggest addiction, was necessary. I do not ever want to be known as being addicted to anything other than love and laughter.

I also did it for the animals. There is no humane way to kill another Being and eat it, that made sense. And since so many prominent scientists have signed an accord that states animals have consciousness, how can I possibly be responsible for the eating of another conscious being? One that feels the same way I do? That wants to mother its young the same way I would? Who loves, has friends, habits, ticks, and other heretofore "human" traits? There is no way I could drink the milk of cows, while their calves were taken from them, and held in confinement, and killed so young, so people could eat their tender baby meat. Gross. Babies, who would play and frolic! To me, it is sick.

I've heard all the excuses for eating meat, and for staying on a meat based diet, that are just that. They are excuses for staying the same, for not trying something different, for not giving up something that tastes good, even if it would save my life to eliminate it from my diet. This is a pre limitation that will keep me fat. I gave up cheese, and eggs, for the first time in my life. But for the last time.

To substitute for the taste, I began to read recipe books. My God, and thank you, Jesus! but the recipes are good! I don't tend to take directions very well. I am hard wired to rebel against almost anyone telling me what to do, use, work, or how to cut food in a certain way. I've got to stop doing this! But there it is, my limitations.

My pre-limitation is to not follow the direction of the recipe the exact way in which it is supposed to be done. My thinking leads me to add more of this, use this instead of that, dash a little more of this because it smells good. Truly, it is hit or miss. But now that I am vegan, I must really try to use the recipes as they are written. First. If they don't taste good then, I will remember next time to change that ingredient combo, and shake it about and come up with something better. Or, write that recipe off, and move on.

It is hard to mess up the use of plant based foods, but as with so many things, someone came up with a winning recipe, and I sure as hell should give their efforts a chance, it is only fair.

Pre-limitations are the voice in your head that says, I can never give up that, I could never go there, I will never do that. Pre-limitations is the voice in your head that stops you before you ever begin. It is the devil on your shoulder, and it is always telling you, you can't, you will never, you shouldn't even try.  What the hell? Knock that bastard off your shoulder, and give something different a try. For Pete's sake, you only have the universe at your fingertips. Why not explore something foreign, like music, foods, places. It is all on you, baby...

So far? Being vegan has lost me some 33 lbs. I could not ask for more than that, this giving up something bad for me, so I can wear clothes I love to wear. I'm in my fifties, and I've run out of time to waste moping about losing weight. I've done that for far too long. I'm doing what I want, and I like riding bicycles, and I like the feel of my thinner body. So I link cheese to bloat. I link eggs to gas. Do I miss gas and being bloated? HELL NO!

So it is not that hard to change my attitude, therefore I am happy to be vegan. Don't let your little bastard sit on your shoulder and nag you into defeat before you even begin. "I can't" is the most defeated place I've ever been. 'I am' is lovely, and healing. See you there! Where? In the land of successes, that's where 'I am', and yes, that is where I am building my house.

3 comments:

  1. Did you know that your link to Art in the Life is broken? You should probably remove it if it doesn't work. Its just a thought.

    ReplyDelete